Cast your vote and become eligible to win free electricity
Voting for this year’s Cuivre River Electric Cooperative (CREC) Board of Directors election kicks off this month on July 9. Members may vote online, request a paper ballot or vote in person at the co-op’s annual meeting on August 22.
This year, CREC members will decide director races in the following districts: Lincoln County District 2, Pike County, St. Charles County District 2 and Warren County District 1.
As stated in the June issue of Current Times, attendance at the annual meeting is NOT required to win free electricity prizes. To be eligible to win, you must vote. Prizes will not be awarded at the annual meeting, rather winners will be drawn from the entire pool of voters in the week following the annual meeting, and will be contacted directly. The complete slate of winners will also be announced in CREC’s monthly newsletter, Current Times, on our website, social media channels, and in CREC Connections, the cooperative’s e-newsletter.
The top free electricity prize will be $1,500. Two members will receive a $500 bill credit, while two others will each be presented $250 worth of free electricity. Additionally, 12 winners of free electricity for a month (up to $200) will also be drawn.
“The format of our annual meeting has changed, but the opportunity to win prizes has not,” said Kevin Hurd, manager of administrative services. “The difference is that members do not have to attend the annual meeting to win. They simply need to vote.”
The voting process is handled by the independent firm of Survey and Ballot Systems (SBS), based in Eden Prairie, Minn.
There are several ways for members to vote starting on July 9:
- Online voting — An email notice and a link to the online ballot site will be sent to members with a valid email address on file, OR members can visit www.directvote.net/crec/. You will need your member number (only the five or six digit number before the hyphen) and the ZIP code that appears in your billing address. Members who wish to vote online but do have have access to a computer may visit a Cuivre River office, located at 1112 E. Cherry St. in Troy and 8757 Highway N in Lake Saint Louis. Member identification is required. The lobby hours for both offices are weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Paper ballot — Members may request a paper ballot by mail. Call 952-974-2339 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or email email@example.com. The request for paper ballots should be made by August 12 to allow time for mail delivery. Candidate bios can be viewed at the online voting site, or for those requesting a paper ballot, you’ll receive hard copy of the bios with your ballot. The bios will also be published in the August edition of the Current Times. If a member does not want to vote online or by paper ballot, they may attend the annual meeting on August 22 and vote in person.
About the voting process
- If a member requests a paper ballot but decides to vote online instead, they should not mail in their ballot.
- No ballots should be mailed or brought to CREC offices, or to the annual meeting. A postage-paid envelope will be included with paper ballots, directing ballots to Cuivre River c/o Survey and Ballot Systems.
- SBS must receive mailed paper ballots by the close of business August 19. Online voting ends at 11:59 p.m. on August 19.
- Should members encounter a problem while voting, they should call 952-974-2339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Support is available 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on weekdays.
- CREC bylaws permit one ballot per membership, regardless of the number of names on an account, meters associated with an account, or the amount of energy purchased.
- Ballots may not be requested or cast by a person who is not registered on the account, such as a family member or a neighbor.